Summary Description: The Professional Advisor is a full time, benefit eligible, administrative position reporting to the Director of Student Success and Advising. This position is primarily responsible for facilitating and empowering students toward fulfilling their academic and professional goals. The Advisor also works closely with the Records office, Enrollment Management team, faculty and other University staff to facilitate effective advising leading to successful degree completion. This position will uphold and reinforce institutional policy and standards and serve on institutional committees.
Primary Job Duties:
- Work in conjunction with campus staff to ensure strong advising in new student registration days and orientations.
- Manage advising load of up to 250 students.
- Work collaboratively with department faculty, financial aid, registrar/records office, retention staff, student success personnel and other appropriate campus departments to ensure robust support services for all entering and continuing students.
- Collaborate with the Admissions office to ensure a smooth student handoff from Admissions Counselor to Professional Advisor.
- Partner with students on degree planning and ensuring appropriate preparation for all coursework.
- Ability to work with both traditional students and adult students that are a part of the Professional & Graduate Studies (PGS) program.
- Actively collaborate with student success personnel to ensure appropriate attention to students requiring extra support.
- Collaborate with department faculty to ensure all majors have accurate four-year and/or completion plans for student reference.
- Provide guidance to students on their academic pursuits, partnering with Career Services as appropriate to help inform the selection of a major.
- Conduct face-to-face and online check-ins with advisees as necessary and appropriate.
- Provide timely and accurate processing of registration paperwork.
- Document student contact electronically.
- Work within Colleague management system and use system tools to assist with registration.
- Assist with training and professional development activities for faculty academic advisors on registration tools in Colleague
- Assist the Director with data collection regarding retention reporting and data collection processes.
- Assist with textbook distribution for incoming and returning students.
- Partner with major coursework faculty and registrar to ensure smooth transition to faculty academic advisor (as necessary) for upper-level coursework.
- Assist department with grad checks as time allows and as requested.
- Exercise creative and critical thinking.
- Provide support of institutional student retention goals.
- Be present in the office on a daily basis unless arrangements are made with the employee’s direct supervisor. This position works on a flexible schedule to accommodate both traditional and PGS students.
- Contribute to the support and implementation of the University Strategic Plan.
- Participate in Warner Pacific University professional development opportunities.
- Adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a Christian liberal arts education by upholding the mission of the University and abiding by the Employment Standards and Lifestyle Agreement.
- Exhibit commitment to inclusiveness and sensitivity including areas of national origin, ethnicity, culture, gender, and disabilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Experience working in a higher education environment.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited higher education institution and three years of professional experience. (Preferably in Higher Education)
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Committed to the transformational value of higher education.
- Ability to promote the values of higher education in interactions with students.
- Possess a high degree of empathy and customer service experience.
- Team player with interpersonal strengths.
- Deep desire to help others achieve educational and professional goals.
- Persuasive and diplomatic in working with individuals and small groups.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written communication.
- Demonstrated ability to efficiently and effectively solve problems and initiate and implement projects independently.
- Ability to work effectively and meet deadlines in fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage time and priorities.
- Demonstrated capacity for organizational/systems thinking.
- Proficient in computer programs including Windows, Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional weekends in addition to flexible office hours in between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
Physical Demands – Work Environment:
- Master degree from an accredited higher education institution.
- Academic advising experience.
- Spanish language skills.
- Experience working with diverse University students.
- Teaching experience in a higher education environment.
- Experienced in conflict management and resolution.
- Experience mentoring and coaching University students.
- Leadership and management experience.
- Experience working with adult learners
The position is located in a typical office environment. Professional/business casual attire is required.
Warner Pacific University’s Mission:
Warner Pacific is a Christ-centered, urban, diverse, minority-serving, Hispanic-serving, liberal arts University dedicated to providing students from diverse backgrounds with an education that prepares them to engage actively in a constantly changing world. Our hiring practices reflect our missional commitment to being a Christ-centered institution.
Warner Pacific University’s Commitment to Diversity:
Warner Pacific University is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks a diverse workforce of committed Christians from all racial, ethnic, and socio-economic backgrounds. Warner Pacific University is committed to hiring staff and faculty with an intentionality that demonstrates the importance of having an employee community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity of the students we serve. Persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Mission-based hiring is of critical importance to Warner Pacific University. Employees are expected to demonstrate and articulate a vital Christian faith and to live in a manner consistent with a Christ-centered lifestyle as informed by the Scriptures of the New Testament.
Warner Pacific’s students, faculty and staff are expected to foster an environment of mutual respect and accountability, to care for the personal dignity of others and to exercise integrity in their conduct and communication. The University environment is expected to be free from discrimination and harassment (including bullying). When an individual’s behavior has direct implications for others and/or the well-being of the University community, there may be cause for institutional involvement, regardless of where the situation occurs.
Warner Pacific University desires to provide a safe and healthy environment for staff, faculty, students, visitors and guests. Therefore, smoking is not permitted on University property, in its vehicles, or at any University sponsored event. The use of illegal drugs or non-prescribed controlled substances is strictly prohibited. Use of alcoholic beverages or tobacco products is strictly prohibited on Warner Pacific University campuses.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Warner Pacific provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement for all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, sex, gender, national origin, citizenship status, disability, age, genetic information, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status and any other status protected by laws and regulations to which Warner Pacific is subject. All employment decisions, including hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, and terminations are made in a manner that does not discriminate against individuals in the categories discussed above. Because Warner Pacific is a Christian liberal arts University, the University exercises its legal right to hire Christian employees to fulfill its mission and purpose.
In order to be considered an applicant for this position, please complete our online employment application at https://warnerpacific.catsone.com/careers/1611-General
Click “Apply Now” to complete the online application, and submit the following:
Application, Cover Letter and Resume